Providing Access To Justice For Citizens And Noncitizens Alike

Is your co-parent denying you time with the children?

On Behalf of | Aug 17, 2023 | Child Custody

Co-parenting is a collaborative effort. It involves working alongside your ex to provide a supporting and nurturing environment for the children. However, it is not always a smooth and unproblematic undertaking.

For instance, your co-parent may limit or deny your allocated time with the children using various tactics, such as altering visitation schedules without prior agreement, making unilateral decisions about the children’s activities or education or even relocating without proper communication.

Such a situation can be emotionally distressing due to lingering concerns about maintaining a meaningful and consistent presence in your children’s lives. Here is what you should do.

Take informed action

When faced with such a predicament, it’s best to try resolving the matter with your ex without involving anyone else. Initiate a calm and respectful conversation with your co-parent, expressing your concerns about the restricted access and the potential impact on the children. If necessary, consider mediation to help find an amicable resolution.

Remember to document everything that shows your co-parent’s interference or violation of the existing custody orders and your efforts to rectify the situation. Maintain a detailed record of these incidents and preserve communication records. Such evidence can go a long way in supporting your case should the need arise.

Lastly, avoid taking matters into your hands and focus on the children’s needs. Drastic measures like failing to pay child support in retaliation to your co-parent’s conduct will primarily affect your children’s well-being rather than punish your co-parent. It could also get you in trouble with the law.

Explore legal remedies

If all else fails, you may have no other option but to seek the court’s intervention in enforcing the custody orders. The process involves filing an enforcement petition with the court and presenting your case before a judge.

Reaching out for qualified guidance can provide you with valuable insights and assistance in navigating the legal complexities of such possibilities while safeguarding your rights and interests.